The “Introduction To Robotics Using Makeblock mBot” track provides access to all of tutorials provided by Makeblock. In these tutorials you will work with your child to explore the fundamentals of robotics using the Makeblock mBot platform. You will build on the coding skills and basic electronics skills you have gained through the development tracks you would have completed.
We would highly recommend that at minimum you complete the development tracks listed above. As you progress through the tutorials in this track you will learn how to light up the mBot robot, make the robot play music, control the robot remotely using a remote control, design a line following robot, design an obstacle avoidance robot and much more.
This is an advanced development track focused on electronics, coding and robotics. We would highly recommend that you complete the following tracks before you start off with this track.
- Introduction to coding concepts with Scratch – I
- Introduction to coding concepts with Scratch – II
- Exploring Coding Concepts Using the BBC micro:bit – I
- Exploring Coding Concepts Using the BBC micro:bit – II
- Introduction to Electronics Using the BBC micro:bit – I
Makeblock mBot is an open source robot platform which includes mechanical parts, electronic modules and software for building robots which are amazingly simple to use. mBot is an all-in-one solution to enjoy the hands-on experience of programming, electronics, and robotics using one single platform. Start working with mBlock using Scratch 2.0, connect to the mBot with computers or smart devices over Bluetooth or 2.4G (by different version). mBot offers a robotics platform that is easy-to-assemble and provides infinite STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) learning opportunities. mBot programming is based on a drag-and-drop graphical programming software called mBlock which has been developed based on Scratch 2.0 and provides a quick way to learn programming, control the robot, and realize multiple functions from the robot.
Here are the list of prerequisites for working on the Makeblock mBot robotics development track.
- This robotics development track makes extensive use of the Makeblock mBot. Head over to OzToyLib and pick-up a Makeblock mBot.
- You will need to download and install the Makeblock mBlock code editor for your laptop/computer.
- The mBlock code editor supports block based coding, coding in the C++ (Arduino) language including Python.
- Once you’ve obtained the Makeblock mBot and installed the mBlock code editor for your laptop/computer you are ready to proceed with the tutorials.
- MakeBlock also offers applications for use on your tablet / hand held device. Options for the Andriod / iPad include – mBlockly or MakeBlock HD. See the Makeblock mBlock link for additional details.
Makeblock Co., Ltd, founded in 2013, is a leading STEAM education solution provider. Targeting the STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Math) education and entertainment markets for schools, educational institutions and families, Makeblock provides the most complete hardware, software, content solutions, and a top-notch robotics competitions, with the aim of achieving deep integration of technology and education. Makeblock’s products are sold in 140+ countries. by 1,000+ channel partners. Their number of users exceeds 4.5 million and continues to grow. Makeblock’s products are used in more than 20,000 schools around the world, as well as by families, for STEAM education.
You can read more about Makeblock at their website – www.makeblock.com.