Lesson 1 – Configuring and Setting up the Raspberry Pi
Setting up & Configuring the Raspberry Pi –
- The Raspberry Pi is a powerful SBC (Single Board Computer) which runs a version of the Linux (Raspbian) operating system.
- In this section we will cover off tutorials that will help you setup, build and configure the Raspberry Pi
- Click on each of the tutorials to open them up in a new window –
- We’ve included links to some study videos.
- We recommend you take a few minutes to go through each of them and build a better understanding of the Raspberry Pi.
- Each of the study videos cover off relevant setup, configuration concepts.
About the Raspberry Pi
The Raspberry Pi is a series of small single-board computers developed in the United Kingdom by the Raspberry Pi Foundation to promote the teaching of basic computer science in schools and in developing countries. It is a capable little computer which can be used in electronics projects, and for many of the things that your desktop PC does, like spreadsheets, word processing, browsing the internet, and playing games. The original model became far more popular than anticipated, selling outside its target market for uses such as robotics.
The Raspberry Pi does not include peripherals (such as keyboards, mice and cases). However, some accessories have been included in several official and unofficial bundles. According to the Raspberry Pi Foundation, over 5 million Raspberry Pis were sold by February 2015, making it the best-selling British computer. By November 2016 they had sold 11 million units, and 12.5m by March 2017, making it the third best-selling “general purpose computer”. In July 2017, sales reached nearly 15 million.In March 2018, sales reached 19 million. Most Pis are made in a Sony factory in Pencoed, Wales; some are made in China or Japan.
You can read more about the Raspberry Pi here – RaspberryPi.org.
- This development track is based on the Rasbperry Pi and the Ultimate Starter Kit for the Raspberry Pi.
- You will need access to both the Raspberry Pi SBC and the electronics components part of the Ultimate Starter Kit for the Raspberry Pi kit to be able to work on these tutorials.
- If you haven’t purchased the Raspberry Pi 4 B yet please head over to our store and purchase one now. You can pick up the Ultimate Starter Kit for the Raspberry Pi from OztoyLib.
- Depending on where you live you might also be able to pick up the Raspberry Pi and Ultimate Starter Kit for the Raspberry Pi at your local electronics hobby store.
- You will also need to pick up a Google Edge TPU
About the Raspberry Pi Smart Car (PiCar V) for Raspberry Pi 3/2/B+
The PiCar-V is an smart car robot learning kit based on Raspberry Pi. The kit comes equipped with a wide-angle USB webcam, smart car platform with servos, wheel, wide angle camera, motor driver, battery holder, etc. The new version of the PiCar-V is designed with features, comes with three whole new circuit boards and simplified wiring setup. The smart car chassis is strong and built to be durable. It is a well-designed structure, solid, durable and shatterproof. You can program the car in Python or using block based programming language. Sample Python code to control the car is provided, and you can also program and debug it with Dragit, a block based graphical interface, by just simple dragging and dropping the code blocks for complex functions.
There are many ways to control the robot remotely. You could use the application on the PC (works on any OS) to control the car. You can control the camera’s direction including seeing the images through the camera in real time. You can also perform control the car and view the camera using either a web browser including from mobile devices i.e. phones, tablets, etc. The Raspberry Pi Smart Car (PiCar V) kit for the Raspberry Pi is a great way to dive into the awesome world of robotics and build on your own STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) learning journey.
SunFounder is a technology company focused on Raspberry Pi and Arduino open source community development. SunFounder is committed to the promotion of open source culture, they strive to
bring the fun of electronics making to people all around the world and enable everyone to be a maker. SunFounder builds products that include learning kits, development boards, robots, sensor modules and development tools. In addition to high quality products, SunFounder also offers video tutorials to help you make your own project. You can read more about SunFounder at – https://www.sunfounder.com