Lesson 0 – Introduction to the Edison Robot
- Edison is a programmable robot designed to be a complete STEM teaching resource for coding and robotics education for students from 4 to 16 years of age.
- Your next tutorial in this development track is – Introduction to Edison robot
- Please take the time to watch each of these videos listed above.
Here’s links to some relevant documentation –
- EdPy App Documentation
- EdPy lessons and activities – complete set
- Mapping of EdPy to the Australian Digital Curriculum
- EdPy teachers guide
- This tutorial makes extensive use of the Edison Robot
- If you haven’t purchased a Edison Robot yet you might want to head over and pick one up now.
Edison is a programmable robot designed to be a complete STEM teaching resource for coding and robotics education for students from 4 to 16 years of age. The Edison robot is a powerful, engaging tool for teaching kids computational thinking and computer programming in a hands-on way. With more built-in sensors than any robot in its class as well as lights, sounds and autonomous behavior capabilities, Edison makes true robotics education accessible to students of all ages.
Not just a remote-controlled robot, Edison can:
- Respond to light and sound
- Follow lines and avoid obstacles
- Communicate with other Edison robots
- Connect to other Edison robots and LEGO bricks
- And so much more!
Edison’s robotics capabilities can be unlocked with ease through simple barcode programs. Students can then progress their robotics, coding and STEM education journeys using Edison with three progressive programming languages. Edison can also be used to build and invent as the programmable base for an incredible range of engineering and STEM projects thanks to Edison’s expandable robotics system which works with the EdCreate construction kit and any other LEGO brick compatible building system. Read more about Edison here – <Edison Website>
EdPy is a highly versatile text-based programming language for the Edison robot. EdPy is based on Python, a popular computer programming language renowned for being easy-to-learn with high readability. Programmers use Python to develop everything from the latest apps to business software. Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest are just some of the many applications that use Python! EdPy makes text-based programming fun by letting students see their code come to life in their Edison robot. With EdPy, students are learning the core of a real programming language and are able to take their exploration of robotics and coding to a more advanced level.
The online EdPy programming environment has a range of features designed to help students learn texted-based programming. These features include:
- Line help – provides a plain-English explanation of valid lines of code
- Autocomplete – automatically offers matched option suggestions as a user starts typing in code
- Popup help – help box assistance providing a description of the code which appears as you type
- Help text and examples – inbuilt help text and examples native inside the programming space
You can access EdPy online at www.edpyapp.com