Lesson 5 – Unit 4
- Edison is a programmable robot designed to be a complete STEM teaching resource for coding and robotics education for students from 4 to 16 years of age.
- Your next tutorial in this development track is – Unit 4
- Clicking on the links opens them up in a new window
Here’s links to some relevant documentation –
- EdScratch teachers guide
- EdScratch Warning Messages
- Bar codes in different programming languages
- This tutorial makes extensive use of the Edison Robot
- If you haven’t purchased a Edison Robot yet you might want to head over and pick one up now.
Edison is a programmable robot designed to be a complete STEM teaching resource for coding and robotics education for students from 4 to 16 years of age. The Edison robot is a powerful, engaging tool for teaching kids computational thinking and computer programming in a hands-on way. With more built-in sensors than any robot in its class as well as lights, sounds and autonomous behavior capabilities, Edison makes true robotics education accessible to students of all ages.
Not just a remote-controlled robot, Edison can:
- Respond to light and sound
- Follow lines and avoid obstacles
- Communicate with other Edison robots
- Connect to other Edison robots and LEGO bricks
- And so much more!
Edison’s robotics capabilities can be unlocked with ease through simple barcode programs. Students can then progress their robotics, coding and STEM education journeys using Edison with three progressive programming languages. Edison can also be used to build and invent as the programmable base for an incredible range of engineering and STEM projects thanks to Edison’s expandable robotics system which works with the EdCreate construction kit and any other LEGO brick compatible building system. Read more about Edison here – <Edison Website>
EdScratch is a vertical block-based visual programming language based on Scratch. EdScratch combines the ease of drag-and-drop programming with powerful functionality and versatility. The result is a robot programming language that is easy to learn and offers a robust platform for computer science education. The online EdScratch programming environment is designed to deliver meaningful computer science education through an easy-to-use interface. EdScratch’s intuitive layout and the simplicity of block-based coding makes EdScratch an ideal programming language for students aged 10 and up. Helpful features, like the built-in bug box, make the transition to using more complex programming structures approachable even with no prior coding experience. As students gain confidence in coding, they can do even more by controlling inputs, manipulating data, and creating and utilising variables, making EdScratch a perfect platform to use Edison’s features in engaging, creative ways.
You can access EdScratch online at www.edscratchapp.com