Lesson 9 – Welcome to Edblocks
- Edison is a programmable robot designed to be a complete STEM teaching resource for coding and robotics education for students from 4 to 16 years of age.
- Your next tutorial in this development track is – Welcome to Edblocks
- Clicking on the links opens them up in a new window
Here’s links to some relevant documentation –
- Edison blocks guide
- Edison blocks easy reference guide
- Edison lessons and activities – complete set
- Mapping of Edblocks to the Australian Digital Curriculum
- Edblocks teachers guide
- This tutorial makes extensive use of the Edison Robot
- If you haven’t purchased a Edison Robot yet you might want to head over and pick one up now.
Edison is a programmable robot designed to be a complete STEM teaching resource for coding and robotics education for students from 4 to 16 years of age. The Edison robot is a powerful, engaging tool for teaching kids computational thinking and computer programming in a hands-on way. With more built-in sensors than any robot in its class as well as lights, sounds and autonomous behavior capabilities, Edison makes true robotics education accessible to students of all ages.
Not just a remote-controlled robot, Edison can:
- Respond to light and sound
- Follow lines and avoid obstacles
- Communicate with other Edison robots
- Connect to other Edison robots and LEGO bricks
- And so much more!
Edison’s robotics capabilities can be unlocked with ease through simple barcode programs. Students can then progress their robotics, coding and STEM education journeys using Edison with three progressive programming languages. Edison can also be used to build and invent as the programmable base for an incredible range of engineering and STEM projects thanks to Edison’s expandable robotics system which works with the EdCreate construction kit and any other LEGO brick compatible building system. Read more about Edison here – <Edison Website>
EdBlocks is a fully graphical robot programming language for the Edison robot that is super easy to use. A drag-and-drop block-based system, EdBlocks is intuitive and fun, even for younger users. Perfect for introducing anyone to programming, EdBlocks is ideal for students aged 8 to 12 years old. The online EdBlocks programming environment is simple to use on both computers and tablets. EdBlocks contains more than 150 blocks, making it easy to experiment with programming. All the blocks are accessible through the main menu, organised into five different categories. Simply open one of the menus by clicking on it in the app, then select the block you want. Drag and drop each block to the ‘start’ block in the main programming area to add it to your program. It’s that easy!
You can access EdBlocks online at www.edblocksapp.com